Thursday, March 19, 2009

Friday March 13, Campo Marzio

Another school trip to Rome.

First, a Giotto exhibit at the Vittoriano museum complex at Piazza Venezia. A big event [1, 2, 3] -- made me a little dizzy.

Then, goodbye students -- lunch at "L'Orso 80" (located at via del Orso 37). A little overbearing and overrated [1, 2], if you ask me. So I posted my own review. A spread of too many appetizers made me a little dizzy, too. I must be developing Stendhal's syndrome (a.k.a. Florence syndrome). We'll see on the upcoming trip to Florence. But M liked it.

After lunch, Ara Pacis [1, 2, 3] and Mausoleo di Augusto [1, 2], then a couple of churches near Piazza Navona, in search of Caravaggio. Madonna di Loreto in San Agostino was lovely, but The Calling of Saint Matthew and The Martyrdom of St Matthew at San Luigi dei Francesi were closed for restoration (or for removing the damage from the previous restoration). The façade of the church was closed, too. BTW, a good complete Caravaggio site: http://www.castelmeteo.it/arte/Caravaggio.htm.

Then a train back to Viterbo.

No comments: